Sunday, March 18, 2018

HO3-- WEEK 37

A few screenshots I snagged that demonstrate what "grown-up" looks like in our family
This week..
-- the big change was I failed by glucose test meaning I have diabetes with this pregnancy. It's only drama because we've been surviving off quick meals like waffles for breakfast or pastas.. and I've indulged in ice cream almost every night. Our typical meals (when I'm not pregnant and super busy getting ready for graduation!) are pretty diabetes-friendly (aka low-carbohydrate).. but when I'm busy I tend to grab granola bars or other quick carbs. I felt better about this whole thing after I went to the grocery store and bought a tub of "carb-smart" ice cream and a few other sugar-free sweets so I have something to grab. However, as a physician, I am actually really excited to see what it's like to check my blood sugars 4x/day so I have that perspective & sympathy for my many diabetic patients. It's super unlikely I'll need oral medications or insulin so I won't get that experience first-hand but I had the luxury of study nutrition for my undergraduate degree so the diet changes come easier to me than others! The tricky part of diabetes in pregnancy is the glucose level you're most interested in is the one 2-hours after each meal. 2 hours?! By then I've restarted seeing patients in clinic or am sitting in church or [insert activity here]. So, I have a recurrent timer on my phone that has kept me on track. I'm 100% so far for keeping my blood sugar within goal! (Can you tell I'm a little bit type-A & competitive?)
-- we also had the pleasure of having a lot of laughs when we video-chatted with my Grandma and Parents who were visiting her in Pennsylvania. It's definitely not as good as being there in person - but it is the next best thing! We are blessed with the. best. family. ever!

xo,
Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment