Sunday, July 15, 2012

Another non-typical week

(I almost wish I didn't have to title each post on the blog. I never have anything exciting, so I just pick the first non-humiliating idea that comes to mind. My first thought is always "Another Typical Week". However, for us right now, no two weeks are the same! So here is a recap of another unique week in our household...)

MONDAY
We were able to show some of T's family who live in Houston around the University of Nebraska- Lincoln's campus. We toured the main campus, East campus (with Dairy Store ice cream of course!), Morrill Hall, and most importantly, Memorial Stadium. Thankfully, our family from Texas are still major Husker fans. We may or may not have snuck on the field through an open gate when we found out the construction prohibits the self-tour option. It was pretty sweet. We also took a gander at the sweet trophies inside the stadium. For the Heisman trophies, UNL has set up a separate room called the Nebraska Football Experience Room. It shows two films: one of the past season's highlights and another of the 3 Heisman trophy winners. It is so worth the trip if you ever find yourself in Lincoln, NE.


Monday night we celebrated my brother and sisters birthdays'. They are born on the same day, two years apart. It is pretty schnazzy. They agreed that sharing a birthday is the best because you can share attention. Their birthday was a pretty epic night in our house because we ended with this:


That is our family + Gma + Aunt Sue spray painting a canvas on the front lawn. For realz. This is what happens when you have a sweet artist as a brother.

Proof that Gma got in on it as well:


TUESDAY/FRIDAY
Have I bragged lately about how awesome our neighborhood is? Well... aside from the shootings a few streets over... our neighborhood is officially awesome. We are surrounded by other students and young families, many of whom go to our same church. We frequently have BYOM (bring your own meat) grill outs simply by pulling a few grills over to a grassy area behind some of our houses. We also get random treats left on our doorstep (probably too often according to our waistlines). But a joy for me from living here is that I get the chance to babysit. I have loved, loved, loved kids ever since I was one myself. I have also always loved to babysit. Grandma's will agree with me on this one- playing/spoiling kids for a few hours and then returning them to their parents is the best. Until they are yours of course.. but that is a ways away for us still. (Don't mention the p word --> pregnant around here.. you'll give T another nightmare!)

So.. back to babysitting. This week I got to spend time with these precious kids:



This one taken on my phone by her 3 year old brother when I wasn't looking. Talented kid!

SATURDAY
The other highlight of the week for me was hanging with T's mom. She is fantastic. She made us a steak dinner as we did the next phase of a project we've owed her for a while now. A few years ago we helped pull up the carpet in her townhouse and lay laminate instead:

Summer 2009
Bathroom minus carpet

As you can see, there was some awesome retro flooring that we covered. What you cannot see, is that the carpet went up the wall about 7 inches so we needed to patch & paint the wall before we added baseboards. Now, in 2012, the baseboards are installed and it just awaits paint. Talk about slow! T also dramatically pulled some mini-trees/weeds and I giggled and took pictures (okay, he wasn't being dramatic.. in all honesty they really did need that much effort. But I did make him pull an extra one just so I could sneak a picture.)

Bathroom- in progress
No weed can win against T! 

And that was our week! This next week includes both of us working as well as some job-shadowing for me. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment