Monday, June 4, 2012

Our First Anniversary


One year ago today, I married my favorite man in the world (sorry dad!). I've had trouble writing this post because I want to tell you how intelligent he is, how he is always making me laugh, how he is so thoughtful, how he keeps our house clean, how he continually works so hard, how he is willing to cook, how he constantly supports me, how he prays for others often, how he is always striving for more, how he will watch "my shows" on TV (I think he secretly likes them too), how he is brave, adventurous, relaxed, and a fantastic balance for me. This post is hard to write not because I am searching for things to say, but because I am searching for how to say them without vomiting text all over this blog (whoops. looks like I already did that).


Right after we got engaged, T and I started passing journal back and forth (he was living in Omaha while I was in Lincoln). One of the first things I wrote is what I titled "The top TEN reasons I want to marry Travis." I remember sitting down and, again, word voimitting the first things that came to my mind. I think they still hold very true. Here are a few of my favorites:
- "His laugh and smile are contagious."
- "He is incredibly selfless. Travis puts everyone he loves before himself. His wants and needs in life always take a             backseat to others."
- "His love is genuineunconditional, and deep."
- "He is constantly thinking about the future and how he can make our life brilliant."
- "He protects and cherishes the people he cares about. Travis would never let anything happen to me, whether he can      control it or not. He is extremely loyal and would never do anything to hurt or betray me."
- "In situations where I stress, he is relaxed. In times where I am over-optimistic, he is real."


In this first year, we have spent more time laughing and smiling than I ever thought possible. I expected frustrated arguments, moments of selfishness, and disagreements on goals as we got used to living together. However, we've experienced few of those things. 


We were able to stick to the goals we set for this year. Our budget has only been blown a few times (T would probably say more than a few, lol). We were able to travel to see family and of course, completely enjoyed our honeymoon. 

Labadee, Haiti -- June 2011
We were confident in our decision to get married last year as we danced to "When I Say I Do" by Matthew West and we haven't regretted that decision one bit:
"And I have never been so sure of anything before, 
Like I am in this moment here with you 
Now for better or for worse are so much more than only words
And I pray everyday will be the proof 
That I mean what I say when I say I do
Yeah I mean what I say when I say I do"


One of my favorite things T said to me on our wedding day was during our ring ceremony in front of our nearest and dearest. He said:

"To know that I have you in my corner, I feel like I can take on the world. I love you Krista, I always have and I always will."



 I have not wiped this silly grin off my face since I married this amazing man.


So when people ask, "How has the first year been?" I reply, "Incredible! Fantastic! I have a loving husband who supports me everyday as I am gone at school studying, who doesn't have to be asked to do the laundry, who tells me I am beautiful, who isn't afraid to try new things, who loves to laugh, who is always working hard, who loves God, and who makes me happy each and every day. I can only pray that others can find a partner who makes them feel as delighted as I feel right now." 


I look forward to many, many more wonderful years. Just as Sinatra said, "the best is yet to come!"

  
[sorry about so many smoochy pictures!]

For more from our wedding, check these out: 6 month anniversarywedding photo proofswedding video highlights

No comments:

Post a Comment