Sunday, June 3, 2012

Summer Break (officially)


MONDAY
Well, we started the week with a big eats (just like we said we would. We don't joke when we talk about food around here). We had two fabulous potlucks with some basement work in between. I used an idea from Pinterest (imagine that!) and cooked a dozen eggs and made them into breakfast sandwiches. They worked really well because people could just grab and go. They were gone before I even got to the buffet. I'll post the recipe for you soon. (I am thinking about a week of recipes on the blog so I can force myself to post them..  stay tuned!)

Hello morning hair & face!

TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY
I finished my rotation in Syracuse, NE this week (I got to do more stitches!). I could not have asked for a more fabulous experience! The people there were incredibly kind. I learned so much about what it really means to be a physician. I now better understand how silly our medical system can be at times and I have been inspired about how much good you can do if you are willing to work hard. My eyes were opened to how family practice would be an awesome job in a smaller town. (BUT, I can't say I am convinced I would enjoy it in a place like Omaha where your scope of practice would be limited. I still think pediatrics would be a better fit for me in a bigger city.) It felt really nice to be home for good on Wednesday, unpack my bags, and sleep in my own (not covered in plastic) bed. Spending my nights with my incredible husband is a big plus too.. even if it means being covered in drywall dust/paint/sweat awesomeness.

THURSDAY
Take a guess at what room I spent a chunk of the day painting.. perhaps the room I can't stop talking about? Yup. I was on basement duty for the day! But I met with some fantastic girls for homemade ice cream Thursday night to reward myself. I was almost convinced to buy myself an ice cream maker.. until I got lazy and realized I can buy ice cream pre-made for less than the price of the ingredients. However, if you ever need a taste tester I won't decline!

Paint: stage one
Picture me.. standing on that chair.. on my tiptoes.. leaning into the doorway to paint. YIKES
FRIDAY
AM: we took a girls trip to Bellevue Berry Farm and picked some fabulous strawberries. It felt a little criminal to leave with only a $1.18 worth. I wouldn't be surprised if we venture back there in the near future- especially when there are more raspberries ready!

PM: a group of (pause to count on fingers) 21 of us went camping at a place that was so neat I almost don't want to tell you about it so I can keep it all to myself. It wasn't far from our house but the landscaping was so different it felt like another part of the country. Plus, we got there late so our trip consisted mostly of eating & chatting.. two of my favorite things! Maybe I can round up some pictures from friends and give you a real recap.

SATURDAY
I helped throw my dear friend a baby shower. She has been such gem to me this year- I can't wait to meet her little boy in a few months! He is a lucky one!


Then we.. can you guess it.. worked on the basement! I came home one night this week and saw this:


I suppose it's an upgrade from the floor.. but we've sinced pulled up the plastic..

Vanna White- your job is so not threatened by me! lol
.. installed and caulked baseboards..

before 
after


.. and moved in the furniture!


Gone are the days of double/triple showers due to drywall dust! The to-do list is still long.. but at least we can plop on the couch while we write! It feels good to be at this point! Just a few more details and we're done! (and broke, lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment