Monday, September 5, 2011

Week Three

Story of the past week:



I did my best to study as much as I could tolerate. We are encouraged to study in groups because it more effective learning to have discussions or to teach the material than solely reading or hearing it. However, for this next test I am going to spend more time studying on my own. I believe the studies that advocate for group learning, but from experience, the socializing that occurs in groups cancels out the time saved.

I've made a few personal goals to be successful in medical school:

  • Maintain a healthy, regular sleep schedule. I've read that students should have at least 7.5 hours of continuous sleep to retain the information they learned that day. I've also read that its healthiest to maintain the same sleep schedule everyday of the week. No more lazy weekend mornings for me! So far, so good :)
  • Eat regular, heathy snacks and meals. Ya'll know that can be a challenge for a variety of reasons. Since I started school, I've learned to like yogurt! I'm still easing myself into Greek yogurt by dipping fruit in it. 
  • Perspective. "The big picture" is so important for these next few years (and probably all of life). I know it will always be a battle to allow myself time away from studying. Perspective will also help stay motivated to continue studying. This is the real deal. Medical school isn't just a hoop to jump through in order to get a job. Well, it partly is. But mostly, but laziness here can mean serious (maybe fatal?) mistakes in the future. yikes.
Besides school, we had a few friends over for dinner and a movie last night. Since it was incredibly beautiful, we also fit in some frisbee and football. Football is interesting by our place because there are about a million power lines (maybe a million is an exaggeration). Here is one example of the power lines:



To wrap up, here is a teaser of a project we are working on:





No comments:

Post a Comment