Sunday, May 17, 2015

Hooding Ceremony

Our "hooding" was at the Holland Performing Arts Center on Friday, May 8th in the afternoon. I didn't know what to expect because I had never attended a hooding and I am unfamiliar with all the regalia of academics.

My brother's Snapchat
Our ceremony was great. It started with some formalities before the actual "hooding" took place. It was definitely my favorite graduation speech of any ceremony I've been to (and that says a lot!). I have a copy of the speech if anyone ever needs to feel encouraged/inspired! I felt more like a wizard than a doctor wearing our robes.. but there is definitely something fun about keeping long-standing academic traditions!


I loved that we did not have to sit in alphabetical order. I sat with my best friends in the front row - which was fitting because we sat in the front row for every medical school lecture as well! 

One of our clan is blocked by the curtain..
Here is what our group looks like sans robes:


The ceremony started with a few awards and acknowledging the top of our class (not me!). Then we all walked across the stage and received our doctoral hoods as our name and residency program were announced!


We then officially "signed out" of the book that we all signed at our White Coat ceremony 4 years previous.


We ended by reciting this oath (the modified declaration of geneva):

Now being admitted to the profession of medicine, I solemnly pledge to consecrate my life to the service of humanity. I will practice medicine with conscience and dignity; the health and life of my patient will be my first consideration. I will maintain the utmost respect for human life, never using my knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity.

I will hold in confidence all that my patient confides in me. I will not permit are, religion, national, party politics or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient. I will follow that method of treatment which I consider to be of  greatest benefit, and never hesitate to confer with my colleagues on my patient's behalf. I will learn to distinguish when to treat aggressively and when to restrain my hand in the face of great power.

I will maintain the honor and noble traditions of the medical profession. I will recognize hard-won scientific gains, and share my knowledge with those who follow. I will treat with respect all others in my profession. Those promises I make freely and upon my honor.

 I had some fantastic family members that were there to support me:


And of course we celebrated afterwards with good food and conversation!


No comments:

Post a Comment