Sunday, October 26, 2014

SI-- WEEK SEVENTEEN

We are nearing the end of this month of L&D (labor and delivery) and I have mixed feelings. I truly love the work - it is such a privilege to be a part of each delivery - but I am also ready to be done with call. I have 3 more call nights in the next 6 days and then I will be done with call for two months! I will only have clinic in November and December so when I'm home I'm home. That part will be really nice! But, for example, this week I had a family ask to take a picture of me with their little one I delivered for their baby book -- how awesome is that?! It is such a career milestone to be recognized as someone's main provider. i love it. I will really miss all the grateful/appreciative families that come with L&D. I can't say I've been on any other service where a patient and/or their family bring doughnuts or other treats for the staff. There is even a beautiful bouquet of flowers at the nurses station right now from a family :)

T and I did sneak in a few fun activities this week outside of work..
(1) Some of our friends in the neighborhood have a Halloween tradition of making homemade doughnuts to hand out instead of candy. The festivities were early this year - they made something like 250+ doughnuts on Saturday and T and I were sure to be there (you all know T's love of doughnuts...). Even better, we had an excuse to catch up with some good friends (T was able to chat with friends who are as excited about planes, fast vehicles, and business as he is). So fun!

(2) I snuck out of work a little early one afternoon (and when I say sneak.. I mean my supervisor told me to leave because we were so slow). T happened to have the day off of work so we were able to walk down to the gardens for the last hour before they closed. We decided to walk up to the UP (Union Pacific) exhibit at the top of the parking lot instead of walking through the actual gardens. We see the trains up there every time we drive back into Omaha from Council Bluffs but neither of us have actually taken the time to walk up there.


There are a few informational/historical plaques as you walk along the path to the trains. I thought this one was the most interesting since we love to ski:

(3) The last fun thing we did this was get together with my family today to celebrate T & my dad's October birthdays. E made a delicious butternut squash bisque, dad smoked pork, gma made coleslaw, and T&I brought lime fruit salad and lemon crumb ice cream. We also played a new game that E and Cassie taught to us:

Back to L&D for 6 more days then I'll be learning more about radiology! Quite the change! Everyone have a fabulous week!

xo,
Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment