Sunday, September 8, 2013

M3-- WEEK TEN

T and I spent Labor Day playing before we got back into school/work this week. T played basketball with the guys before we went out to breakfast (as always, T ordered biscuits and gravy!). I had some packing to do and T had a test, but then we took a walk around the neighborhood and had another couple over to watch Gatsby. We should have gone camping - the weather was beautiful!

Tuesday I had a day of instruction with the other students beginning their Family Practice rotation. We reviewed the expectations of the rotation and practiced some skills like splinting, casting, and suturing:


Then, early Wednesday morning I drove to Grand Island, NE! Everyone I've met has been super kind and supportive. I've even made it home for dinner each night! (A total change from my surgery schedule!) Speaking of dinner, Grams is totally spoiling me. I come home each night to a delicious home cooked meal and a soft bed. If I didn't have them in town, I'd be eating cafeteria meals 3x/day and sleeping in a room in the old pediatrics wing. It's been awesome to spend so much time with my grandparents. I wish I could take a two-month rotation with each of my grandmas! It's seriously the best.

This week I spent the majority of my time in clinic but I was able to help with a C-section at the hospital one morning. I'll rotate each week and spend my time with a different family practice provider. It will be a nice mix and I will be able to see 8 different styles of medicine.

Outside of the clinic/hospital - Grams and I had a fun day Saturday shopping for furniture! We've been bugging Grams for a while to update her living room which is so much easier said than done. We sat on a lot of sofas and multiple chairs before we found pieces that will work. Furniture is made so bulky and casual anymore! It was hard to find chairs that were comfortable but didn't fill half the wall! Now we'll try to wait patiently for mid-October to roll around for the furniture to be delivered :)

This first week has felt sort of like I'm back in college.. Someone else cooks my food, I'm living with just the few things I brought from home, T is in another city, and I feel guilty when I'm hanging out instead of studying. However, I know I am totally spoiled to work with such great docs and to live with my grandparents.

I hope life is also treating you well! Take care!

xo,
Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment