Sunday, October 7, 2012

M2- WEEK SEVEN

whew.

i don't want to repeat that last week.

I had a test Saturday that was.. very humbling. I severely dislike taking a test and feeling so unprepared. I promise I studied hard these last few weeks! I just hit a max capacity for memorizing details and it made for a lot of intense thinking during the test. yuck. Thankfully, I still finished early and was able to take some time for myself this weekend to get reenergized!

This weekend, T and I tuned in to General Conference on TV. Twice a year, our church has a world-wide broadcast instead of individual church meetings. It is a fabulous weekend filled with many different people speaking on many different topics. I took notes on our Ipad and I typed nearly 4 pages of notes! One of my favorite messages from the weekend started with this:

"Isn't it true that we often get so busy? And, sad to say, we often wear our busyness as a badge of honor, as though being busy, by itself, were an accomplishment or sign of a superior life. Is it?"

Can you relate to that? Another talk that really spoke to my heart included this message:

"My beloved brothers and sisters, I am not certain just what our experience will be on Judgment Day, but I will be very surprised if, at some point in that conversation, God does not ask us exactly what Christ asked Peter: “Did you love me?” I think He will want to know if in our very mortal, very inadequate, and sometimes childish grasp of things, did we at least understand one commandment, the first and greatest commandment of them all—“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind” (Luke 10:27; see also Matthew 22:37–38). And if at such a moment we can stammer out, “Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee,” then He may remind us that the crowning characteristic of love is always loyalty.

I am excited to get my copy of these talks in the mail next month so we can study them more carefully!
So, other than conference, what did we do this weekend? 
Well, I cancelled my previous plans and spent Saturday catching up on life (grocery shopping, laundry, and time with T). Sunday, we slept in, stayed in our pajamas way into the afternoon, watched conference, ate biscuits and gravy for a late breakfast, deep cleaned our house, and took dinner over to T's mom.  This weekend was so far from a typical weekend for us, but it was awesome. We never have the chance to sleep in. It feels like a holiday! This weekend was exactly what I needed to get motivated for the upcoming week. 
I am part of an interprofessional group of students at UNMC that are working on making some changes to primary care. This next week is National Primary Care Week, so we have a week full of activities planned (lunch meetings with speakers, a casting workshop, and a dinner for current physicians in NE). You all know I envision myself as a primary care physician, probably in pediatrics, so I am super excited to hear some of the speakers this week discussing loan-repayment and how to be profitable in practice (sadly, so much of this life revolves around money!). 
Then next weekend, T has a birthday! We are headed to Iowa where he gets to take a racecar for a spin! I'll be back with pictures next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment