Sunday, April 29, 2012

End of April 2012

[life]

This week was my last week as a first year medical student, at least in any classroom-type setting. We took our last graded test on friday/saturday and only one test is between me and summer vacation. We have a comprehensive final for the. whole. year. However, the requirement is only to pass to move on to the next year. There is also a second opportunity to retake the test if it doesn't go so hot the first time. According to older students, this week off to study doesn't have to be hard core. We have normal life social plans throughout the week.

This weekend I was able to celebrate two of our favorite people and their upcoming wedding! I met the bride-to-be in undergrad where she listened to me struggle with wedding plans and now we study together in medical school.. where we still struggle with wedding plans :) People like her are what make medical school manageable.. because, lets be real, I see my classmates quite a bit more than I see my dear husband.

The happy couple! We love these two!
Photo credit: Jessie Petersen
[car show]
(written by T):
There was an awesome auction on Saturday in Grand Island that I went to with my grandpa. There was a beautiful 1940 mercury convertible that you see below. My grandpa really wanted it and was really close to buying it. It came down to him and one other bidder. It was so much fun getting to spend the day with him looking at so much cool stuff. I really wanted to buy the Buick that you see below. No one was bidding on it and it is the biggest car I have ever seen.



 



Since we were kind of down that we didn't get to bring home the convertible, we went for a ride in my grandpa's 1947 Lincoln Coupe. This is one of two old cars that he has restored. 





[basement plans]

In between writing this post we are measuring, budgeting, and planning how we are going to finish our basement next week. (next week!) Our place has some .. what shall we call them .. quirks .. so we have some decisions to make about the details.  We are thinking of recessed lights (to help the low ceiling appear as tall as possible), drywall instead of cement brick walls, a warm tan paint job instead of stark white, molding- both crown and around the base, a half wall on the stairs that matches the style of our other stair case, and possibly a curtain room divider (still trying to convince T of this detail). I think I am most excited about the lighting. Right now our track light is as dependable as [insert something/someone really not dependable]. It thrills me to think about going downstairs to do laundry in a well lit basement. total bliss.


[summer plans]

Today we are also working on plans to use our fabulous tent we were given for our wedding. It sets up in 60 seconds! And tear down? 60 seconds! I will warn you, there are bright red stickers on some of the rods that say CAUTION! PINCHING HAZARD! Yeah, take those seriously. The tent pinches.. hard. And if you wiggle your fingers to get them out the tent closes tighter. Don't worry. I learned my lesson. It only took once to teach me! We are looking at these campsites: LouisvilleGretnaWalnut CreekTwo RiverPlatte RiverMahoney, and Branched Oak.

Other plans for the summer? We love the free concerts (Friday nights @ Rockbrook, Movies/music @ Sumpter AmphitheaterJazz on the Green, live bands @ (assuming they will do it again...) Village Pointe & Shadow Lake). We also love walking around the farmer's markets at Village Pointe and in the Old Market.


But now I am going to enjoy the amazingness of sitting here on the couch, catching up on the last five episodes of SMASH with my fantastic husband, eating our favorite lettuce wraps from Costco, all the while knowing that I don't have classes tomorrow. Life is so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment