Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blessings

Do you ever have experiences that make you think? Experiences that may seem like nothing remarkable to others, but are really thought-provoking to you? I had one of those weekends. The culmination of events left me reflecting on how much the people in your life and your experiences shape you.

I was blessed with two wonderful parents who provided me with all of my basic needs. They taught me the importance of respecting and loving all people and continually showed me how fortunate I truly was. Without their teachings, I am sure my outlook on life would be very narrow. I am so thankful that they taught us such wonderful things at such an early age. Without them, I would not have had the courage, belief in myself, or desire to pursue medical school. And what a blessing that has been!

It is beyond fantastic to spend each day doing something that feels so right. I can't imagine doing anything else. I am acquiring a set of knowledge that few get the opportunity to learn. I am so fortunate! Medical school is shaping me into an even better version of myself and I love that! Sometimes I get discouraged when it makes me tired or stressed because then I know I am not being the best friend/wife/daughter/sister, but mostly it has helped me to grow in so many ways. I have learned I am capable of so much more than I even fathomed. I may never have experienced this growth had I not experienced this challenge.

We had a test Friday morning, and then I spent the afternoon with my preceptor. Our "preceptors" are physicians that are assigned to us through the school that we are required to visit 5x/semester. Folks, I was assigned to the most fabulous physician. She is so fantastic at what she does! But beyond that, she is loving yet honest, helpful yet fair, fun yet respected... I could go on and go. She is such a great example. I spent Saturday morning with her as well and she allowed me to follow her as she did her rounds at the hospital Saturday afternoon. How great is that? In between clinic and rounds, she bought me lunch at Panera and shared with me her experience of balancing a family/school/work/sanity. I hope I can remember when I am a practicing physician how much impact a mentor makes. I hope I am as willing to teach and to share my knowledge of navigating the crazy system that we call healthcare.

Well, it's late and if I've learned anything through all these years of school, it's that I function so much better on a full night's rest. I hope everyone reading this can find the joy that I am experiencing in this life. I'm sure 16+ years of school with 6+ still ahead is not everyone's fairy tale, but its mine, and I'm living my dream.

But before I finish, it wouldn't be right to end this post without a mentioning the fabulous man I call my husband who supports me in all that I do. He is so incredibly patient, loving, loyal, and passionate. We have so much fun together! I never imagined that we could be so united. He makes me feel capable of achieving anything I set my heart to. Who knew living on a student budget with such crazy schedules could be so amazing? Oh. And before I forget. Travis got a new toy this weekend:


Have a fabulous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment