Sunday, September 27, 2015

HOI-- WEEK 17



This week I..
-- got a healthy dose of vitamin D at the Husker game with T. We both had exactly one Saturday off work this month - and it happened to be the same one! I snagged at set of tickets from my department and we scrambled Friday night to make it work. What a perfect way to spend a beautiful afternoon!
-- got an awesome belated birthday gift - something to make baked potatoes on the grill.. faster! We love to use our grill during this beautiful weather and baked potatoes are one of my favorite foods. We're stoked!
-- have my final shift on "cross-cover" for Internal Medicine. What that means, is tonight I'll show up at the hospital to begin work at 7pm. The first thing I'll do is hear about the 60 or so patients that I will answers calls on overnight (that's the cross-cover part). Then I'll take the "code pager" from my co-intern because I'll also be paged to any "code blue" or "RRT". A RRT ("rapid response team") is something that can be paged when we need to get people to a patient's bedside quickly - MDs, lab, xray, respiratory, etc because someone is acutely more sick. A code blue means someone no longer has a pulse but we will attempt resuscitation w/ CPR, medications, shocks, breathing tubes, etc.  The final part of my overnight duties is to admit new patients that come through the ER! Overnight in the hospital can be super busy, as you can imagine, and the most difficult part is often trying to triage who to help next. Your pager is often going off with other patient's who need attention while you still haven't seen the previous patients -- it gets wild!

xo,
Krista 

No comments:

Post a Comment