Sunday, November 18, 2012

M2- WEEK THIRTEEN

SCHOOL
Last week I totally spaced blogging about one of the best parts of my week! It's an example of one of the many awesome opportunities we have as medical students. A group I participate in is the Emergency Medicine Interest Group and last week they had an awesome meeting. An attending physician and three residents met us in one of the cadaver labs so we could learn some new skills. We each had the chance to do a tracheal intubation [a], place a chest tube [d], and achieve interosseous access [e]. Did you know that you can infuse fluids and medications into bone if needed? How cool! We also got to see a lateral orbital canthotomy [b] and a tracheostomy [c] (those are things that can't really be repeated.. otherwise we probably could have tried as well). So basically.. I got to do a bunch of really awesome life-saving procedures that I probably won't do ever again. But I love learning new things and I also love to about things that save lives!

LIFE
I love this time of year because it encourages us to stop and reflect on all of our blessings. Since this past week was mostly just long days of studying and stress.. I'll end my post today with an on-the-spot gratitude list. WARNING- my thoughts are usually quick and random!

First twenty things that I am thankful for today:
+ a warm (in my opinion pretty) home in a country that stands for human rights and freedom
+ my fantastic husband!
+ holidays spent with our amazing families
+ a healthy, capable body that allows me to experience life
+ documentaries
+ our comfy sectional couch
+ toys like T's nerf gun and ATV
+ the opportunity to go to school to become a medical doctor. I still pinch myself about that one!
+ our friends' cute little kids that we can be silly with
+ football!
+ Sundays spent away from school and work
+ people who think of others before themselves
+ technology that allows us to learn quicker and experience more of this awesome world
+ nature and all of its shapes, colors, and textures
+ fooooooooood
+ sincere friends (that are understanding of our sometimes crazy schedule)
+ that happiness is not dependent on money
+ butchers at grocery stores (otherwise I probably wouldn't eat meat)
+ the internet that I use to blog and stay in touch with family & friends
+ laughter. genuine laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment