Sunday, September 30, 2012

M2- WEEK SIX

Friday was the first day of medical school so far that I can remember feeling emotionally defeated. I was sick of studying. I felt totally sorry for myself. I so wanted to have a life where I could cook a serious dinner each night, keep my house clean, and.. imagine this.. spend time with my husband on a regular basis.

I guess I had a mini-moment like this last weekend too. I told T that I felt like my life outside of school was spiraling down- chores were piling up, it had been a long time since I'd seen my friends, and I missed him! He asked what chores around the house I was talking about and the first thing I blurted out was our front flower bed needed some attention. So, what did T do the next minute he had free? He headed right outside and started pulling out our dead plants. He is so fantastic. He does so much to support us and is willing to do even more if I just let him know it's on my mind! (Now, I need to add that life is totally not spiraling down. We aren't even very behind on chores. Sure our floors are dusty.. but our clothes are clean, our dishes are dry, and most surfaces aren't too cluttered.  So these emotional moments were just total burnout from studying.)

How did I deal?

Well, Saturday, I put my nose in my books and accomplished a lot. I feel so much better when I am productive. Then, starting Saturday night, I took time away from school and hung with my fabulous husband, did something creative, and visited with some friends.

T and I started with some good food: grilled pork and zucchini! We shared a good laugh when we, like last time we grilled indoors, set off the fire alarm and clogged the house with grilling smoke.


T has been begging for an apple pie. So I bought the best frozen pie Hyvee had to offer (it was super good!). Plus, I got to use my cool Pampered Chef help-me-hold-in-all-the-pie-goodness-please contraption.


Finally, I hung the shelves I bought off Craig's List a few weeks ago:

Please imagine the frames filled and painted!
I love all things clean-lined and simple. I know these are way out of proportion for our bathroom.. I probably should have hung all three and worked with smaller frames.. but today? I LOVE IT. I have so many awesome black frames I have been hanging on to until I had the perfect space for a gallery wall. Who knew I'd end up with gallery shelves.. in my bathroom! But I am excited to play with stuff around our house to find the right mix.

A short story about these shelves:
I saw a picture online of someone with wall-to-wall floating shelves in their half bathroom. I figured to make that happen I would need to build my own shelves. So, I bookmarked some plans online and then forgot about them for a while. Fast-forward a few weeks and I am browsing Craig's List for some patio chairs and I run across some floating shelves. I click on them for kicks and giggles, and what do you know.. they are the exact size of my half-bath wall. Like, to the 1/8th of the inch (43 and 5/8th inches if you were wondering). So I snatched those up with some birthday cash and they have sat in various parts of my house for a few weeks until today, when I had the patience to perfectly center and hang them on the wall.

The final bit of awesomeness for the weekend? OUR WEDDING ALBUM!! I proofed the pdf a few weeks ago.. but it now we have the. real. thing.

Here are a few of my favorite spreads (photographed in poor, poor light):


Oh, and PS, I was famous this week: ARTICLE & VIDEO HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment