Sunday, December 11, 2011

6 days left of the semester!

I typically start writing a blog post by uploading the week's pictures from my camera. I'll do the same this week but I will warn you now, this week was pretty lame and the pictures are pretty random...

  • We've been drinking lots of hot chocolate lately. When we feel like fancying it up, we make it with milk and froth some with the hand mixer for the top



  • Our "love fern" bromeliad is dying. good news? We have instructions on how to remove the "buds" and grow more plants



  • Due to the snow, we made our 0.5 anniversary steaks indoor, on our cast-iron grill pan. Should have trusted my gut that a marinade would be bad news indoor. Good news? Our smoke detectors ran out of batteries this week so we didn't set of any alarms






  • This picture just makes me laugh. We made homemade bread tonight and I asked Travis to slice it. This is the scene I came back to:

Hey! Half the bread stayed on the cutting sheet!


  • I realized I haven't given an update on school in a while. Our class is "cellular processes". For example, this week we studied the immune system (red blood cells, white blood cells, T cells, B cells, Natural Killer cells, the list goes on) and how fats are metabolized. In past weeks we have studied genetics, metabolism, cartilage, bone, cell signaling, and cancer. This class has been hit or miss for me. Many lectures I find fascinating and the others are a total bore. One of my favorite lectures was about genetics, and specifically teratogens. Teratogens are anything that can disrupt pregnancy or cause the fetus problems. Its interesting how some medications are always dangerous while others are safe after so many weeks, etc. It was probably one of my favorite lectures because it felt very applicable to clinical medicine-- you need to think carefully before you prescribe medications to pregnant women! Friday afternoon is our last test for this class-- then it is Christmas break! How we will spend it? Relaxing, duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment